Skip to main content

My 2020 gaming list - part four

Welcome back to the final part of my eagerly anticipated games list of 2020.  Let's get going!

Rune Factory 5 for the Nintendo Switch.
I do enjoy me some nice, peaceful farming games every once in a while, like Harvest Moon or Stardew Valley.  If you're not familiar with the Rune Factory series, it is basically Harvest Moon but mixed with a JRPG, so you have to explore dungeons and fight monsters at the same time as making sure your crops are watered and your livestock is looked after. This sort of game really works well on a handheld so it's a great fit for the Switch.

Streets of Rage 4 for the Nintendo Switch.
Whether or not this one actually turns out to be as good as the classic entries in the series for the Sega Megadrive remains to be seen, but at the moment I am looking forward to checking this one out. I quite like the art style that they've gone for - it's both modern and retro inspired at the same time. I hear that Yuzo Koshiro is only doing part of the soundtrack, which has me a bit worried.  Let's just wait and see!

Tales of Arise for the Xbox One.
It's been a little while since the last proper entry in the Tales series from Bandai Namco, but later in the year we'll be getting another one.  We can expect the same amazing anime-esque art style, fast paced battle system, lovable characters and amusing skits that the previous games have all featured, plus a lot more besides.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 on the Xbox One.
The original Masquerade game is a legendary RPG - everyone I have known who has played it over the years has raved about it.  Finally they will be getting the sequel that they have been clamouring for all this time.  Can it possibly live up to the reputation of the original? Maybe not, but I look forward to giving it a go and seeing what all the fuss was about.

Watch Dogs: Legion on the Xbox One.
This third entry in the Watch Dogs series was originally supposed to be coming out quite early in 2020, but it fell victim of Ubisoft's wave of delays along with most of their other upcoming titles.  They have said the reason for this is to make sure the game is as good as it can possibly be though, so I'm OK with that - and it's not as if we're running short of other games to play in the meantime, is it? I am very intrigued to see just how well their system of being able to play as dozens of different characters will work and what effect it has on the story.

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition for the Nintendo Switch.
The first entry in the Xenoblade Chronicles series has already been released twice (first on the Wii and then for the New 3DS) but this will be the first time that it will be running in full HD with a nice smooth frame rate. Although I did put a good 30 or so hours into the original Wii version, I never actually managed to finish it, so I hope to do just that this time around.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon for the PlayStation 4.
Also known as Yakuza 7, this new entry in the series is really going to shake things up by having a brand new protagonist and a turn based battle system inspired by Dragon Quest.  The action also moves to a brand new location, something I think the series has sorely needed for a while now.

That's it! I'm sure there will be plenty of other games that come along that I haven't even heard of yet, but at the moment these are all the titles that I'm looking forward to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: 1917

1917 is the latest film from the highly acclaimed director, Sam Mendes, who recently gave us one really great Bond movie in the form of Skyfall, and one rather bad one in the form of Spectre. The story for this new film is based on a tale that young Sam's grandfather used to tell him, of a vital World War I mission to try and prevent the unnecessary loss of thousands of lives. As Colin Firth explains to us all, another General believes that the Germans have retreated, but thanks to aerial surveillance photos Firth's General now knows that is a trap and they are lying in wait. ready to mow anyone down who is foolish to charge. A young soldier by the name of Lance Corporal Blake, played by Dean-Charles Chapman, is given the task of travelling through previously occupied enemy territory to try and reach the other General before he sends his men into certain death.  Blake is told to choose one other soldier to help and support him in this task, and he chooses Lance Corporal Schof

Movies: Little Women

Little Women is of course based on the classic novel written by Louisa May Alcott and was released towards the end of 2019.  It was directed by Greta Gerwig, who received a lot of praise for her previous film, Lady Bird.  The star of that film, Saoirse Ronan, joins the cast of this one as the protagonist Joe Marsh, alongside Florence Pugh (from Fighting With My Family and Midsommar),  Emma Watson (Hermione from the Harry Potter series) and Eliza Scanlan playing her three sisters, Amy, Meg and Beth.  The cast is rounded out with other acclaimed actors such as Laura Dern playing the mother of the family, Meryl Streep playing Aunt March, and Timothée Chalamet playing the main love interest, Theodore "Laurie" Lawrence. One of the major changes that Geta Gerwig has made in her version of the story is to alternate between flashbacks and flashforward sequences, which I found to be a little confusing at first. The very first time the film jumps ahead about a decade, it does tell yo

My 2020 gaming list - part one

No gaming review for you this week - I haven't managed to finish anything lately or spend much time with retro games, so I'm not really ready to share my opinions on anything.  I am more than half way through Yakuza 3, part of the way into God of War and Watch Dogs 2, and I just started playing through Simon the Sorcerer yesterday.  In the meantime I'm going to share with you my list of games that I'm looking forward to this year.  If this gets too long then there will be a second part.  I'm also going to do the same thing for movies and TV so watch out for those articles if you're interested. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore for the Nintendo Switch. I have just received my copy of this but I have yet to put it in my Switch and start playing.  This used to be a Wii U exclusive, one of the few that were left to be ported to another console, but now it's here and can be played portably, which is fantastic.  It's a JRPG which takes bits of the Shin Megam