Skip to main content

My 2020 gaming list - part one

No gaming review for you this week - I haven't managed to finish anything lately or spend much time with retro games, so I'm not really ready to share my opinions on anything.  I am more than half way through Yakuza 3, part of the way into God of War and Watch Dogs 2, and I just started playing through Simon the Sorcerer yesterday.  In the meantime I'm going to share with you my list of games that I'm looking forward to this year.  If this gets too long then there will be a second part.  I'm also going to do the same thing for movies and TV so watch out for those articles if you're interested.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore for the Nintendo Switch.
I have just received my copy of this but I have yet to put it in my Switch and start playing.  This used to be a Wii U exclusive, one of the few that were left to be ported to another console, but now it's here and can be played portably, which is fantastic.  It's a JRPG which takes bits of the Shin Megami Tensei series, fuses them with characters from Fire Emblem and then liberally sprinkles in elements from idols, teen pop stars who young boys and girls (and dirty old men) go gaga for in Japan.

Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition for the Nintendo Switch.
This serialised adventure game has been around for years on the PC, but it's just about to get a release for the Nintendo Switch. I've never really paid it much attention before now, to be honest with you, but it was mentioned in the Art of Point & Click Adventure Games book several times as a classic of the genre, which has piqued my interest. So I will be grabbing a copy at some point over the coming months.

Darksiders Genesis for the Nintendo Switch.
The Darksiders series gets a new, Diablo style top down action RPG.  I had originally pre ordered this one for the Xbox One, but I decided that being able to play it on the go was a good option to have, and having seen how well Diablo 3 runs on the Switch I have faith that this can work well too.  It's already picking up decent reviews on the PC, so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the console version soon.

Dreams for the PlayStation 4.
Dreams has been available as beta for ages, so that people can get to grips with creating their own games and also so there are plenty of things for new players to explore when the game is released properly on Valentine's Day.  I've already seen some amazing things coming out of the beta, including a full remake of Monty on the Run for the Commodore 64 that is pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing! I doubt that I will ever create a game myself, but I am looking forward to getting stuck in to see what others have created.

Two Point Hospital for the Nintendo Switch.
Another game that has been available for the PC for quite some time, this spiritual sequel to Theme Hospital is getting a release across all the consoles in February. I have already played the PC version a little bit and it does manage to capture the magic of the old Bullfrog classic, while bringing in plenty of new ideas of its own.  Yet another game that I will be adding to my Switch library - that little console is going to be getting plenty of love this year!

Animal Crossing: New Horizons for the Nintendo Switch.
Those Switch hits just keep on coming! The latest entry in the Animal Crossing series is looking fantastic already.  The list I have here says that it is due to be released in March, though I'm not certain if that's been confirmed or not. I do eventually get bored of the Animal Crossing games after playing them for a month or two, but they are really good fun for a little while.

That's all the space I have for now, so I will be back with part two next week!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: 1917

1917 is the latest film from the highly acclaimed director, Sam Mendes, who recently gave us one really great Bond movie in the form of Skyfall, and one rather bad one in the form of Spectre. The story for this new film is based on a tale that young Sam's grandfather used to tell him, of a vital World War I mission to try and prevent the unnecessary loss of thousands of lives. As Colin Firth explains to us all, another General believes that the Germans have retreated, but thanks to aerial surveillance photos Firth's General now knows that is a trap and they are lying in wait. ready to mow anyone down who is foolish to charge. A young soldier by the name of Lance Corporal Blake, played by Dean-Charles Chapman, is given the task of travelling through previously occupied enemy territory to try and reach the other General before he sends his men into certain death.  Blake is told to choose one other soldier to help and support him in this task, and he chooses Lance Corporal Schof

Movies: Little Women

Little Women is of course based on the classic novel written by Louisa May Alcott and was released towards the end of 2019.  It was directed by Greta Gerwig, who received a lot of praise for her previous film, Lady Bird.  The star of that film, Saoirse Ronan, joins the cast of this one as the protagonist Joe Marsh, alongside Florence Pugh (from Fighting With My Family and Midsommar),  Emma Watson (Hermione from the Harry Potter series) and Eliza Scanlan playing her three sisters, Amy, Meg and Beth.  The cast is rounded out with other acclaimed actors such as Laura Dern playing the mother of the family, Meryl Streep playing Aunt March, and Timothée Chalamet playing the main love interest, Theodore "Laurie" Lawrence. One of the major changes that Geta Gerwig has made in her version of the story is to alternate between flashbacks and flashforward sequences, which I found to be a little confusing at first. The very first time the film jumps ahead about a decade, it does tell yo