Skip to main content

Movies: Jupiter Ascending

Jupiter Ascending is a bit of an older film compared to those that I've reviewed so far, but on the Nimble Entertainment Review Depot, anything goes.  I don't want to limit myself by just covering the latest releases, so here we are.  I've always thought that this film looked pretty cool from the trailers and the little bits and pieces of it that I have seen over the years, but terrible reviews both from the critics and the general public have put me off from seeing it.  At the weekend I picked up a handful of cheap Blu Ray's, and this was amongst them.  Not expecting much at all, I sat down to watch the film last night, and I ended up really enjoying myself.

First of all, Jupiter Ascending looks fantastic in multiple ways - the design of the world, the special effects work, the choreography of the action sequences, and the attractive main leads. This film really pops in HD, though I have just got the regular Blu Ray version.  Out of interest I did check and see if there was a 4K UHD version available, and there is.  That one can be yours for about a tenner if your interest.  This standard Blu Ray cost me £1.50 for a second hand copy, which is pretty decent.

Good looks isn't enough to carry a film though, it has to have something else going for it as well.  In my opinion Jupiter Ascending is just a fun, action packed science fiction romp from start to finish.  It is campy, and daft, and convoluted, but that just adds to the fun, rather than diminish it. I would compare it to something like Flash Gordon.  Maybe the Wachowski's were aiming for something high brow and serious when they made this film, but if there were, that's not what they ended up with. Somehow I doubt that was their intention though.

The basic idea is that Jupiter, played by Mila Kunis, is the reincarnation of someone from royal lineage.  That someone just happens to be from an alien race who seeded the Earth with human life many millenia ago, for the purpose of turning the humans into goo later on.  This goo lets the aliens rejuvenate themselves when their bodies start to age, essentially giving them eternal life.  The three heirs of the Abraxas family are now looking for Jupiter, each for their own reason. One of the three siblings sends a hunter by the name of Cain Wise, played by Channing Tatum) to capture Jupiter and bring her to them.

Regardless of some of the really strange lines they were asked to say, I do think all of the actors involved turned in a solid performance.  Sean Bean is reliable as ever as the half bee man who helps Channing Tatum's half wolf protect Mila Kunis from danger, and Eddie Redmayne is really creepy as the main villain of the film.  Other actors who have appeared in the Wachowski's Sense 8 Netflix series, such as Tuppence Middleton and Doona Bae, also help fill out the cast.

Some of the harsh criticism thrown at Jupiter Ascending includes the following:
"Relentlessly meandering and incomprehensible, Jupiter Ascending is an over-extended costume party thrown within the confines of the cartoonish cosmos." - from Frank Ochieng, SF Crowsnest. While the movie does contain a fare few twists and turns to keep you on your toes, I never once found it to be incomprehensible.  Or over-extended for that matter.  If you don't include the end credits, then the film lasts for just over two hours, which is about right in my opinion.

Jupiter Ascending deserves to stand proudly next to other cheesy sci fi classics, such as Barbarella, Flash Gordon, Buckaroo Banzai, The Fifth Element, Speed Racer, and Valerian.  Maybe you hated it.  There's a pretty good chance you did, by the look of it.  But I really enjoyed it, and I some part of me thinks that maybe, just maybe, it will become considered as a cult classic at some point in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Games: Yakuza Kiwami 2

Yakuza Kiwami 2 is a comprehensive remake of Yakuza 2 for the PlayStation 2, and to be honest it was sorely needed. The first two games were really starting to show their age but the story in each of them was still worth experiencing, so Sega took the new Dragon engine that they built for Yakuza 0 and Yakuza 6 and used it to build these remakes.  The director of these games has gone on record to say that if Yakuza 0 hadn't performed so well in the west then these games wouldn't exist at all, but the series has experienced a well deserved increase in popularity outside of Japan since the prequel game was released.  Being able to experience the entire Kiryu saga on one single console is fantastic. As usual for this series, the main protagonist of Yakuza Kiwami 2 is is Kazuya Kiryu, an ex Yakuza with a heart of gold who always manages to get mixed up in their clan squabbles and whatever schemes are going down.  This time a group has split off from the Omi Alliance in Kansa...

Movies: 1917

1917 is the latest film from the highly acclaimed director, Sam Mendes, who recently gave us one really great Bond movie in the form of Skyfall, and one rather bad one in the form of Spectre. The story for this new film is based on a tale that young Sam's grandfather used to tell him, of a vital World War I mission to try and prevent the unnecessary loss of thousands of lives. As Colin Firth explains to us all, another General believes that the Germans have retreated, but thanks to aerial surveillance photos Firth's General now knows that is a trap and they are lying in wait. ready to mow anyone down who is foolish to charge. A young soldier by the name of Lance Corporal Blake, played by Dean-Charles Chapman, is given the task of travelling through previously occupied enemy territory to try and reach the other General before he sends his men into certain death.  Blake is told to choose one other soldier to help and support him in this task, and he chooses Lance Corporal Schof...

My 2020 gaming list - part one

No gaming review for you this week - I haven't managed to finish anything lately or spend much time with retro games, so I'm not really ready to share my opinions on anything.  I am more than half way through Yakuza 3, part of the way into God of War and Watch Dogs 2, and I just started playing through Simon the Sorcerer yesterday.  In the meantime I'm going to share with you my list of games that I'm looking forward to this year.  If this gets too long then there will be a second part.  I'm also going to do the same thing for movies and TV so watch out for those articles if you're interested. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore for the Nintendo Switch. I have just received my copy of this but I have yet to put it in my Switch and start playing.  This used to be a Wii U exclusive, one of the few that were left to be ported to another console, but now it's here and can be played portably, which is fantastic.  It's a JRPG which takes bits of the Shin Megam...