Skip to main content

Movies: The Personal History of David Copperfield

The Personal History of David Copperfield is the latest project from writer and director Armando Ianucci, who has worked on other such hilarious movies and TV shows like Death of Stalin, The Thick of It and Veep. It is of course a brand new adaptation of the classic Charles Dickens story, a story that is no stranger to being constantly told and retold over the years.  Dickens stories have always had an element of humour and the absurd about them, even as characters find themselves beset by poverty and misery at every turn.  This version is no exception.

The basic outline of the plot is that an older and wiser David Copperfield has written a play based on the many places and people from his eventful life and is now presenting them to an audience for the first time.  The film begins on the stage, but as Dev Patel as Copperfield starts to narrate what's going on, the film transitions into flashback scenes depicting what happened. The film charts his life from a young boy living happily with his widowed mother and housemaid, Peggoty all the way through to when he is a fully grown adult, with his fortunes falling and lifting many times along the way.

There are many colourful characters to meet as the tale unfolds, including Mr Micawber (played by Peter Capaldi), Betsey Trotwood and Mr Dick (Tilda Swinton and Hugh Laurie), and Uriah Heep (Ben Wishaw) among many others.  Hugh Laurie stood out in particular to me - it was lovely to see him going back to playing an affable buffoon again after having played House for so many years.  Mr Dick did remind me quite a bit of Prince George from Blackadder II, though he is quite a bit more intelligent than him, just a bit absent minded due to what I assume is Alzheimer's at a time in history where no one knows what that is.

Of course, one of the major problems of having to squeeze such as lengthy and dense book into the space of a couple of hours is that you will have to leave certain things out, and there's also a risk of events going by too fast.  I feel that this adaptation does suffer from these things as well.  I also found it rather strange that characters have been cast in roles no matter which race they are.  I'm all for ethnic diversity and inclusionism, but it is a bit strange for a child to be a completely different race from both of their parents. It did break the immersion for me I have to admit.

If you are unfamiliar with the story (as I was) then I don't really think that this version is a very good place to start.  It moves through the years and characters at such a rapid pace that it's rather hard to keep up with things.  You would have a much better time with it if you have read the novel already, I think.  As a comedy though, The Personal History of David Copperfield is a roaring success - I laughed out loud on more than one occasion and did still thoroughly enjoy myself even when I wasn't completely sure of what was going on, or why.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: 1917

1917 is the latest film from the highly acclaimed director, Sam Mendes, who recently gave us one really great Bond movie in the form of Skyfall, and one rather bad one in the form of Spectre. The story for this new film is based on a tale that young Sam's grandfather used to tell him, of a vital World War I mission to try and prevent the unnecessary loss of thousands of lives. As Colin Firth explains to us all, another General believes that the Germans have retreated, but thanks to aerial surveillance photos Firth's General now knows that is a trap and they are lying in wait. ready to mow anyone down who is foolish to charge. A young soldier by the name of Lance Corporal Blake, played by Dean-Charles Chapman, is given the task of travelling through previously occupied enemy territory to try and reach the other General before he sends his men into certain death.  Blake is told to choose one other soldier to help and support him in this task, and he chooses Lance Corporal Schof

Movies: Little Women

Little Women is of course based on the classic novel written by Louisa May Alcott and was released towards the end of 2019.  It was directed by Greta Gerwig, who received a lot of praise for her previous film, Lady Bird.  The star of that film, Saoirse Ronan, joins the cast of this one as the protagonist Joe Marsh, alongside Florence Pugh (from Fighting With My Family and Midsommar),  Emma Watson (Hermione from the Harry Potter series) and Eliza Scanlan playing her three sisters, Amy, Meg and Beth.  The cast is rounded out with other acclaimed actors such as Laura Dern playing the mother of the family, Meryl Streep playing Aunt March, and Timothée Chalamet playing the main love interest, Theodore "Laurie" Lawrence. One of the major changes that Geta Gerwig has made in her version of the story is to alternate between flashbacks and flashforward sequences, which I found to be a little confusing at first. The very first time the film jumps ahead about a decade, it does tell yo

My 2020 gaming list - part one

No gaming review for you this week - I haven't managed to finish anything lately or spend much time with retro games, so I'm not really ready to share my opinions on anything.  I am more than half way through Yakuza 3, part of the way into God of War and Watch Dogs 2, and I just started playing through Simon the Sorcerer yesterday.  In the meantime I'm going to share with you my list of games that I'm looking forward to this year.  If this gets too long then there will be a second part.  I'm also going to do the same thing for movies and TV so watch out for those articles if you're interested. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore for the Nintendo Switch. I have just received my copy of this but I have yet to put it in my Switch and start playing.  This used to be a Wii U exclusive, one of the few that were left to be ported to another console, but now it's here and can be played portably, which is fantastic.  It's a JRPG which takes bits of the Shin Megam